[syslinux] Re: syslinux] tftp-hpa versus atftpd

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri May 28 12:51:51 PDT 2004

> syslinux-bounces at zytor.com wrote on 05/27/2004 07:39:06 PM:
>
> > I'm interested to find out how many people are running tftp-hpa
> > versus atftpd.
> >   I'm almost a bit surprised in how many people seem to be using
> > tftp-hpa; for
> > modern Unix systems (including Linux), I would in general assume atftpd
> to be
> > a better choice.

I have used both heavily -- I find the ability to 'dial up'
logging in atftp most useful in debugging where a tftp
conversation is falling apart (along with tcpdump), and prefer
atftp for production use, running a couple hundred tftp
booting workstations on it.

Atftp does seem sensitive to the 'thundering herd' failure
mode when under high initial simultaneous load.  I have not
been sufficiently troubled to do side by side testing to
isolate the root cause (I also suspect xinetd may be in play)

-- Russ Herrold