[syslinux] Boot from CD -> system + data on USB storage

Thomas Schlosser tschloss at web.de
Fri Nov 12 06:55:09 PST 2004

Thanks!
Yes, MY system should be a Linux based system.
But afaik Knoppix has all the system on the CD and runs an emulation. I
would prefer to have a system which is updateable easily and runs in an
emulated mode. And maybe I would prefer to use a SUSE 9.2 which I have
on my PC as well (but this is only a nice to have).

So I think I need a boot-CD which contains only a bootloader to boot a
system which sits actually on the USB drive.
I think Isolinux provides part of the solution but I do not (yet) know
exactly how the CD is to be configured & mastered  and how the harddiskt
has to look like to be used for phase 2 of the boot process.

I still hope that there is a ready to use solution out there and/or an
exact how-to.

Thanks
Thomas