[syslinux] PXE-Linux: password protected menus?

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 22 13:55:30 PST 2004

If you are willing to settle for one password (no username), and this
password is not a super secret one, you can do the following:

* Call menu.com with a simple hash of the "current password" (command
line argument)
* Install a handler for those options which require password protection.
* The handler, displays the password prompt and validates against the
given hash (and cleans up after itself)
* The handler returns ACTION_VALID or ACTION_INVALID depending on
whether the password checks out.
* The menu system pretends the choice was never made (if ACTION_INVALID)
or actually executes the image (if ACTION_VALID)

This requires minor changes to the handler framework (handler returning
value instead of the previous void), and can be easily accomodated. The
main question then is the security:

* Are you willing to live with the fact that the password hash will be
sniffable?
* The password is specific to the service rather than the user.

- Murali