[syslinux] patch: SDI Xpe images support for pxelinux

Rémi Lefèvre RLefevre at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 05:51:58 PDT 2004

Hi,

I added support in pxelinux for SDI (Wndows XP embedded images) files
a few time ago for specific needs. It works well (at least for me atm)
and I think I can now submit it to this list.

I get a very good improvement in speed over the traditional way of

* Links :

The 'diff -urN' patch for syslinux-2.11 (documentation included) :
http://remile.free.fr/pxelinux/pxelinux_sdi_support-0.1.0.patch

The patched pxelinux.0 binary :
http://remile.free.fr/pxelinux/pxelinux.0

The documentation included in the patch (with the extension changed to .txt) :
http://remile.free.fr/pxelinux/sdi.txt

* The dots display while loading the image might not be very adapted
to big images (SDI have at max a size of 500MB) and eye candy, but I
didn't want to make an intrusive patch (load_high and everything which
uses it would have been impacted) and size of code matters.

* I'm really not sure about copyright notes that should be included in
the header and the documentation, so if you have advices...

* On a side note about syslinux web page "Notes on problematic
hardware", I can report that the PXE implementation of the virtual
network card VMXNET from vmware GSX 3.1 seems to support well
fragmentation. I made a custom version of pxelinux with 65k fragmented
UDP packets and got very good tftp transfer rates. Sadly, I found no
real network card which supports it.

Syslinux and Nasm are great, thanks for that.

Best regards,

- Rémi Lefèvre -