[syslinux] booting MS-DOS with syslinux

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 6 13:54:25 PDT 2004

Amit Kucheria <akucheria at metricsystems.com> writes:

> Here is what I did:
>
> 1a. CF card is recognized as /dev/sdb and mounted at /mnt/cf
> 1b. MS-DOS boot floppy (/dev/fd0) mounted at /mnt/floppy
> 2. fdisk /dev/sdb
> 3. mkfs.msdos /dev/sdb1
> 4. syslinux /dev/sdb1
> 5. dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/tmp/dos.bss bs=512 count=1
> 6. cp /tmp/dos.bss /mnt/cf
> 7. Copy io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com, drvspace.bin from /mnt/floppy
> to /mnt/cf
> 8. Copy following syslinux.cfg to /mnt/cf

I do not see the step where you put a Master Boot Record (MBR) onto
the USB drive.

I use SYSLINUX for my project, and I wrote up instructions for booting
it from a flash drive:

    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/faq.html#usb-boot

You can use freedos-mbr.bin from my project or mbr.bin from the
SYSLINUX distribution as the MBR.  You can use my Perl script
(install-mbr.pl, linked above) to install it on your flash drive.

 - Pat