[syslinux] in.tftpd not responding when listening on 255.255.255.255

Michael Martinez mikem at nmt.edu
Tue Oct 26 15:38:03 PDT 2004

I've got in.tftpd configured on a Fedora Linux server. The service is
configured to boot printersm and sun sparcs. The printers boot fine, but
there's a problem with the sparcs.

When the sparc sends an initial request for a file, in.tftpd forks a
process to handle it. If  I do a "netstat -pan | grep tftp" I see that
this forked process is listening on local address 255.255.255.255:<high
port number> and is connected to the sun sparc.

However, the sparc fails to download the file, just hangs waiting. A
tcpdump on the server shows that the server responds to the sparc with:

"server udp port <high number port> unreachable"

I'm assuming its unreachable because the in.tftpd process is listening on
the 255.255.255.255 local address instead of the server's local address.

How do I fix this or otherwise deal with it?

Thanks -

Michael Martinez
Manager Systems Administration / Tech Computing Center
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Socorro, NM 87801