[syslinux] MBR ## SYSLINUX ## Linux (before first partition)

Larry Riedel larryr at saturn.sdsu.edu
Tue Oct 26 18:46:06 PDT 2004

On a boot drive on a PC, I would like to boot Linux
by having it at the beginning of the disk, right
after the MBR and SYSLINUX, _before_ the first
partition, and _not_ in a filesystem.  Essentially I
want something like booting a floppy with a kernel
built using "make fdimage", but with a hard disk
instead of a floppy disk.  The first partition would
probably start at the second cylinder; for a drive
with 255*63*512 bytes/cyl, that should be enough
room for a kernel and a little initrd/initramfs.

Can I do this easily using SYSLINUX, and if so, is
it something fairly straightforward to setup (does
not require much deviation from typical usage)?

Larry