[syslinux] Passing one more file after initrd to the kernel...

Paolo Salvan paolo.salvan at xvision.it
Tue Oct 26 23:20:03 PDT 2004

Hi!

I have a particular need... I'm not sure if this is the right place to
ask, but surely here there are people that can say me if it is feasible
or not...

I'm working for a thin-client distribution (thinstation.sf.net); I want
to boot it from various media (netowork, cdrom, hd, usb key...), and at
the moment syslinux/isolinux/pxelinux are doing it very well...

The problem is that the distribution is composed by a kernel, an initrd
and a CONFIGURATION TEXT FILE, some kb-long, that should be read by the
system after boot...

At the moment I'm solving the problem instaling modules for all the unit
types (cd, hd, usb...) and fs (iso, fat), mounting the boot unit and
reading this file after boot...

It would be quite a cleaner solution if I could pass this file to the
system directly during the boot phase, tghether woth kernel params and
initrd... and later if I could read this file in someway after the boot
(ie in the dev/ or proc/ path)

In this way the file would be read using BIOS drivers, and if the system
can boot I would be sure that my conf file would also be read, without
needing to know which filesystem the system has been booted from, and
without requiring my mini-system to have a lot of driver used only to
load this small file...

Does someone have some idea?

Bye!

Paolo