[syslinux] MBR ## SYSLINUX ## Linux (before first partition)

Larry Riedel larryr at saturn.sdsu.edu
Wed Oct 27 08:57:52 PDT 2004

> >                          I would like to boot Linux
> > by having it at the beginning of the disk, right
> > after the MBR and SYSLINUX, _before_ the first
> > partition, and _not_ in a filesystem.
> > [...]
> > Can I do this easily using SYSLINUX [...]
>
> You'd have to massively hack it, so no [...]
> You're not explaining why you want to do this [...]

Other than simplicity/genericity, I guess the key
thing is to not need to have any partition related
requirements for the hard disk; it might not even have
any partitions defined; maybe the entire first N sectors
of the disk are just a generic blob comprising a canned
MBR+SYSLINUX+Linux, and when the system boots up it lets
the user partition the disk, or use NFS, etc.  I did not
mean to suggest I have thought SYSLINUX /needs/ to be
there, but I had thought it might be a good choice.

Larry