[syslinux] menu.c32, submenus

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Apr 2 17:41:32 PST 2005

Eugene Pressley wrote:
> I am trying to create submenus, or more specifically a single submenu, using PXELINUX and the menu.c32.  I have a tftp share with a basic config:
>
> / (root of tftp)
> pxelinux.0
> menu.c32
> /diskdiag (dir)
> /diskdiag/dskdiag.0
> /pxelinux.cfg (dir)
> /pxelinux.cfg/default
> /pxelinux.cfg/dskdiag
>

> one of the menu items in /pxelinux.cfg/default is as follows:
> LABEL DISKDIAG
>      MENU LABEL [^B] Disk Diagnostics Menu
>      KERNEL \diskdiag\dskdiag.0
>
> one of the menu items in /pxelinux.cfg/dskdiag is as follows:
> LABEL DISKDIAG
>      MENU LABEL [^M] Return to top menu
>      KERNEL \pxelinux.0
>
> The file dskdiag.0 if a copy of pxelinux.0 that I hex edited changing default to dskdiag.
>
> When I run this setup default menu is displayed and I can choose the submenu (dskdiag).  The submenu is then displayed, but when I choose "M" to go back to the top menu the submenu (dskdiag) is redisplayed.  Any one have any thoughts on what is going wrong?

Doesn't work that way.  Unfortunately the different path to the
chainloaded binary isn't visible to the chainloaded binary (it would
entail mucking with the interior of the PXE stack, as far as I know.)

Anyway, the simple menu system doesn't support submenus; Murali
exchanged some mail with me recently about having the advanced menu
system support a superset of the simple menu configuration directives,
or it might be not too hard to support submenus.  My todo list is
getting rather long ... if anyone wants to hack the simple menu system
and add features, I certainly would appreciate it :-/

	-=hpa