[syslinux] menu.c32, submenus

Murali Krishnan Ganapathy gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 3 10:35:58 PDT 2005

I have not managed to find time to work on the advanced menu system.
Currently the main features which are lacking in the advanced system are:

1. Doesn't read info from the .cfg file, have to hardcode entries into
the program
2. Does not allow editing of entries (equivalent of TAB key)
3. Does not allow password protected entries
4. Does not support serial console
5. Has a 64K executable size limit, which translates to around 200
entries in total

While (1), (2) and (3) should be easy to fix, I have not got around to
it yet. If somebody wants to add these features to the advanced menu
system, I can help and point them at the right places to change.

Also, Thomas managed to add the BSD crypt() function routine to the
advanced menu system, as well. I have not yet got around to integrating
it with the official menu system.

If nobody wants to mess with the code, it should be possible to write a
Perl/Python script which reads the proposed .cfg file and generates the
menu.com using the advanced menu system. This might work as an interim
solution.

- Murali