[syslinux] Loading Xen with PXELinux

Tim Deegan Tim.Deegan at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 05:30:12 PDT 2005

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Matt C wrote:
>> I found this old message on the web archives. I've gotten Xen working
>> with PXELinux, albeit with something of a hack. The basic chain is:

I've had reports of success from people using the mbootpack program to
package Xen and then booting the packaged image with PXElinux.
http://www.tjd.phlegethon.org/software/#mbootpack

It packages up Xen, xenlinux and an initrd and disguises them as a
bzImage linux kernel, using a modified linux boot sector.  You can
supply Xen and xenlinux command lines at boot time.  It's still a bit of
a hack, though.

> FWIW, I'll be adding proper Xen support (probably via a com32 module) as
> soon as I can get me some hacking time.

I was about to start working on Multiboot support for SYSLinux when I
came across this.  Would it be useful for me to do that or have you
already got that under way?

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group