[syslinux] memdisk - reboot loaded image

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Apr 5 20:46:13 PDT 2005

Puckett, Richard H. wrote:
> Thanks for the information.
>
> I have a "reboot" program, but I was looking for a way to reuse
> the floppy image already loaded by memdisk -- to reload the floppy
> boot sector and re-bootstrap DOS off the virtual floppy.  I suspect
> that even if I am able to actually execute this, that DOS will complain.
>
> I was looking for a way for the user to enter some configuration
> information, re-partition (and reboot), and continue with the installation.
>
> I presently do this from an actual bootable floppy, but have a new
> requirement is to support a floppyless boot by booting from a CD-ROM
> (in floppy emulation mode) which makes the floppy image read-only and
> persistent writable storage unavailable (pre-repartition anyway).
>
> Looks like I'll have to pursue other avenues of thought on this
> (like Windows PE or Linux) that support dynamic repartitioning
> w/o requiring rebooting.

The way to do this is repartition the disks, and then write to a sector
on the hard disk a "magic cookie" that you can then use for a different
boot selection.  Unfortunately DOS *has* to be rebooted, so there is no
way to do that without.

Linux would be a better choice, really, as you have already surmised.