[syslinux] booting a linux with memdisk & mounting it

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Apr 12 09:08:43 PDT 2005

Johannes Feigl wrote:
> hi,
>
> i want to load a small linux system with memdisk and
> when the linux system is started i want to mount the
> memdisk-image.
>
> is this possible?
> if yes: how can i mount it?
> when i try to mount /dev/fd0 it accesses to my floppy drive.

It's possible, but currently not supported.  There are two ways to make
this happen: either modify the initrd driver to recognize a MEMDISK as
an initrd, or teach the MTD driver to recognize a MEMDISK as an MTD.
Either way should work; the former is probably easier, but requires
changes to the 16-bit kernel startup code.

However, odds are that you can do what you want without MEMDISK using
initrd instead.