[syslinux] pxelinux 2.11 unable to mount root fs

Salman Haq salman.haq at asti-usa.com
Fri Apr 15 08:17:12 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've been using PxeLinux to boot our Debian kernel successfully for
some time now. I recently increased the size of the ramdisk from about
484 MBs to 517 MBs and encountered the following error during bootup:

---
Freeing initrd memory: 105519k
EXT3-fs: Magic mismatch, very weird!
cramfs: wrong magic
sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ramdisk(1,0)
---

I build the ramdisk as follows:

1. run debootstrap in a temporary directory
2. use dd to create a blank 517 MB file
3. format it using mke2fs
4. mount it as ext2
5. copy contents of debootstrapped directory to mounted dd image
6. unmount and compress image using gzip.

My kernel version is 2.4-22, compiled with the HIGHMEM option. The
target machine has 2 gigs of RAM.

Any ideas why the kernel is not able to uncompress and mount the image?

Thanks,

Salman