[syslinux] pxelinux 3.08-pre8 hangs at boot prompt under vmware GSX

Richard Hirst rhirst at levanta.com
Thu Apr 21 16:18:37 PDT 2005

I'm using pxelinux to boot vmware instances, running
VMware-gsx-3.1.0-9089.  When I enable the boot: prompt, the prompt is
displayed but then keyboard input is not echoed promptly.  By that, I
mean that if you hit a few keys they wont be echoed until several
minutes later.  I think the problem relates to the check_for_arp
function; if I comment the line in that that calls pxenv, then the
keyboard input is echoed promptly.  C+A+D still resets promptly.

I don't know if the problem exists with real hardware, but I do know
that syslinux-2.07 was ok on vmware (but that didn't have the arp code,
of course).

Is this most likely a bug in the vmware BIOS, or is there some timeout
we can specify on the PXENV_UDP_READ call?

Thanks,
  Richard