[syslinux] Booting another isolinux.bin with isolinux

Christian Schneider ch_schneider_hi at freenet.de
Tue Apr 26 09:52:38 PDT 2005

Hi,

I tried to build a multiboot DVD and decided to integrate the SuSE Linux
LiveDVD. For several reasons the easiest way (as far as I can see) to
do this is to boot the isolinux of the SuSE DVD with the "main"
isolinux on my multiboot DVD. I do not want to use SuSE's modified
version as default boot loader for some reasons!

I decided to do it as follows (correct me, if something is wrong or will
not work, please!):

1. patching "isolinux.asm" in SuSE's syslinux sources:
-isolinux_dir	db '/isolinux', 0
+isolinux_dir	db '/suse', 0

... and compiling it. Now the new SuSE isolinux should no longer search
in /boot/isolinux, but in /boot/suse for its config files.

2. creating a file (e.g. "suse.bin") with the first 2048 bytes of the
new SuSE isolinux.bin which is loaded by the main isolinux
(May I omit this step and load the new SuSE isolinux.bin with the main
isolinux directly instead?)

4. creating the iso9660 image

5. adding the correct boot information table to suse.bin and the new
SuSE isolinux.bin in the iso9660 image

Does this work or did I forget anything?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Christian