[syslinux] Can't boot Syslinux from HD directly. Can indirect ly?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 18:45:59 PDT 2005

On 8/2/05, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Nazo wrote:
> >
> > Honestly speaking, I'm not entirely sure what to do with that.  I
> > presume it has to be compiled, correct?  I might be able to do that
> > myself if you tell me what to type to actually do it.  ^_^  Never
> > worked with assembly at all before (excluding one assembly command in
> > one thing that literally does nothing.)  Not that I'm so great at
> > C/C++ either, but, at least I know how to start.
> >
> > Also, did you mean to try that with the latest version of Syslinux, or
> > any particular other version?  I assume latest, but, I wanted to
> > check.
>
> Latest version.  If you let me know what flavor of the installer you
> need, I can send you a precompiled one.
>
> Otherwise, to build:
>
>         tar xvvfz syslinux-3.09.tar.gz
>         cd syslinux-3.09
>         patch -p0 < patchfile
>         make
>
>         -hpa

I've been using the nomtools *nix version from my rescue disc (I
haven't gotten around to installing a proper copy of linux on there
yet -- mainly because I keep changing various things and want to get
the partitions setled once and for all first,) though the mtools
version is fine, I just don't technically need it under the
circumstances.  The DOS/Windows version are more work, but, not
impossible.  The main problem is just that Partition Magic doesn't
want to admit that someone might want to have a hidden partition
marked as active, so I have to use the linux fdisk (meaning more
rebooting back and forth if I use a DOS/Windows version.)  So use
whichever of those is easiest, but, if they are all the same, the
nomtools *nix version is preferable.

Didn't know I only had to run make.  I might try that later, but, if
you do it you can be sure it's done right, and if I do, neither of us
will be sure since I have some kind of weird luck thing where even
compiling a hello world application can come up with 50+ errors.  d-: