[syslinux] Can't boot Syslinux from HD directly. Can indirect ly?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:13:02 PDT 2005

On 8/3/05, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Nazo wrote:
> > Ah, using that copy you sent, the patched pre-pre 3.10 version
> > (0x42f04563 is the precice number it says on there when I boot it)
> > boots up and runs things just fine.
>
> Do you have any way of booting DOS on your box?
>
>         -hpa

Yes.  DOS is just fine, I simply use one of the bootdisk images I have
on the syslinux partition or directly boot the Windows/DOS partition
(hda2) and tell it not to load the GUI in the menu.  Going to version
"3.10" did not break booting either one for me.

The only trick with dos is that since I elected to make the syslinux
partition a primary partition, I've had to hide it to avoid putting
windows/dos on an extended partition.  I have to hide one to get to
the other since DOS/Win9x don't like seeing two primary partitions
(they don't care if they don't see it, so hidden FAT16 works great.)
I can still directly access the syslinux partition via the dos
bootdisk images after unhiding it and hiding the Windows/DOS
partition.  It's just easier to simply boot my rescue disc and do any
changes related to syslinux there since linux couldn't care less if a
fat partition is marked as hidden or not and cares even less how many
primary partitions you have so I don't have to hide/unhide anything.

I can't remember why I wanted Windows/DOS to be on a primary
partition.  I don't guess it'd care if it were extended, but, it'd be
a pain to change now.