Fwd: [syslinux] Can't boot Syslinux from HD directly. Can indirect ly?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 00:22:03 PDT 2005

(Bumped something and it removed the CC, so I just manually copied the
e-mail the normal way since I'm supposed to be sending to the list.
Sorry.  Lol, I am NOT used to mailing lists at all I'm afraid.  I'm a
forum person.)

On 8/3/05, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

>I just released a syslinux-3.10-pre2.  Could you please try it out?
>
>This is based on a rather wild guess as what the problem might be,
>unfortunately.
>
>       -hpa

Took a while for them to show the file for that.  Downloaded and
installed.  Unfortunately, it froze with the usual name and version
number information.  )-:  When I tried to chain load it, it said "Load
error - Boot failed" and froze.

> Nazo wrote:
> >
> > I can't remember why I wanted Windows/DOS to be on a primary
> > partition.  I don't guess it'd care if it were extended, but, it'd be
> > a pain to change now.
>
> Well, DOS can't run from a nonprimary.
>
> Anyway, if you could try the following:
>
> - Go to a DOS prompt
> - Enter:
>
> debug
> a 100
> mov bx,55aa
> mov ah,41
> mov dl,80
> int 13
> int 3
> g=100
>
> ... and let me know what the output is, I would appreciate it.
>
>         -hpa

Lol, to me that machine code is such gibberish that you could be
giving me the code to low level format my HD and I wouldn't know it.
Nonetheless, I tried it anyway.  ^_^

Here's the output:

C:\DOS>debug
-a 100
0B95:0100 mov bx,55aa
0B95:0103 mov ah,41
0B95:0105 mov dl,80
0B95:0107 int 13
0B95:0109 int 3
0B95:010A g=100
                     ^ Error [the carat is under the g if you aren't
using a fixed-width font.]
0B95:010A _

I don't THINK I made any typos.  I tried to triple check everything.
Sorry, I suspect you were expecting a more informative output than an
error on the g, but, not only do I know no machine code (well, I know
nop, but, that doesn't count) I have also never really used debug
before, so I don't know how to get a more informative output.