Fwd: [syslinux] Can't boot Syslinux from HD directly. Can indirect ly?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Aug 3 08:15:44 PDT 2005

Nazo wrote:

> I see.  Lol, comes from not knowing a darned thing about how debug
> works I guess.

Whupps, my mistake.

> Sorry.  Ok, tried again, this time hitting enter
> before the g=100.  The output is this:
>
> AX=2100   BX=AA55   CX=0005   DX=0080   SP=FFEE   BP=0000   SI=0000   DI=0000
> DS=0F01   ES=0F01   SS=0F01   CS=0F01   IP=0109    NV UP DI NG NZ NA PO NC
> 0F01:0109 CC               INT      3
>
> Hope this helps.

Hm.  Probably not.  What the above says is that it passed the test for
existence of EBIOS with flying colors -- there is nothing in the above
which can be interpreted as a failure -- and yet, when we try to use it,
it consistently fails.

You did say you have also used "syslinux -s" to install, and it still
fails, correct?

One possibility, which I don't exactly cherish the thought of, is that
whenever EBIOS read fails we always need to try a CBIOS read.  Part of
why I don't cherish the thought of that is that it would require
checking the cylinder number in the latter code, and all of this adds up
very quickly to a lot of code which has to go into the boot sector.

I'll have to think about another way to get more visibility into
whatever is going wrong.