[syslinux] Starting isolinux from another isolinux

Christian Schneider ch_schneider_hi at freenet.de
Wed Aug 3 09:28:07 PDT 2005

Hi,

some time ago I asked if it is possible to boot one isolinux from
another one. The reason: I tried to integrate a SuSE Live DVD on a
multiboot DVD, but SuSE uses a modified version of isolinux.

I tried the following:
1. I copied the isolinux stuff from the SuSE DVD to /boot/suselive.
2. I edited isolinux.bin and substituted "/boot/isolinux" by "/boot/
suselinux"
3. I created a 2kB file suselinux.bin in /boot/bootsec and added it as
kernel in the config file of the DVD's main isolinux.
4. I created the ISO9660 image.
5. I wrote the boot info table of /boot/suselinux/isolinux.bin _after_
the creation of the ISO image.
6. I copied the first 2kB of /boot/suselinux/isolinux.bin to /boot/
bootsec/suselinux.bin

I thought this should work, but it did not. When trying to start SuSE's
isolinux from the main isolinux, SuSE's isolinux hangs. The same
happens when trying to integrate Knoppix or something like that in the
above way.

Any ideas or comments?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,