[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.10-pre3

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Aug 8 12:03:09 PDT 2005

Alexander Heinz wrote:
>> I released a new prerelease for SYSLINUX which supports PCI BIOS
>> access for ethersel.c32.  If you've had trouble with ethersel.c32, I
>> would appreciate it if you'd test it out.
>

> The new version of ethersel.c32 does not fix the problem (e.g. with
> VMWare 4.5.1)
>
> But the patched version by Jesse Sipprell works fine.
>
> @hpa:
> Have you modified his patch?

I didn't use his patch, rather I did a more complete thing which
includes actually be able to use the PCI BIOS in case Configuration
Method #1 doesn't actually work.  The other change he did was to use
maxbus as reported by PCI BIOS instead of hard-coding 0xFF as the last
bus, but I don't see any point in that, since 0xFF is by definition the
last possible bus; it might save some time, but that's all.

I also put the whole thing into the library.  The reason for that should
be obvious.

The biggest difference between what Jesse has and what I did is that I
look for CF == 0 && EDX == 20494350h whereas Jesse looks for AH == 0 to
determine success.  The PCI spec is blatantly clear that the test for
EDX is mandatory.

Anyway... upon going back and looking over the code I saw a fairly
simple typo which probably caused some grief.

It's of course possible VMware does something completely braindead
(which wouldn't be the first time...)

Anyway, I have pushed out syslinux-3.10-pre4 which the typo fix in it.