[syslinux] Booting disk images with syslinux?

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 14:47:55 PDT 2005

Is it possable to boot a diskimage with syslinux?

So often I run into bios upgrade disks images or can
easily create a disk image and would like an easy way
to just boot these images.

I know isolinux does this and I vagely remember using
it to make a bootable windows 95 cd back in the day.
It worked to.

It would be nice if I could just copy the disk image
to a usbstick and use syslinux to boot these images.
Is it possable?
And if so how do I add these to the config file

I tried

label dosdisk
kernel floppy.img

Is that not correct?

If someone has a better solution like with grub or
something I'd like a method that works on a usbstick
which I don't know how to do in grub or lilo both of
which I thought I was pretty good with but when it
comes to telling it where the image is ... ?
I couldn't figure a way to tell it the usbstick
/dev/sda1 just can't be right can it?
and isn't it going to differ? because sda only exists
when the usb-disk portion of the kernel is loaded right?