[syslinux] Re: SYSLINUX Digest, Vol 29, Issue 11

Paul G Rogers paul.rogers at juno.com
Thu Aug 11 17:38:42 PDT 2005

>From: Vanessa Conchodon <v.conchodon at smie.com>
>Subject: [syslinux] booting on a dos software
>But now I have to add powermax.exe (a MSDOS tool to test Maxtor
>disks) on this key.
>As I've always been on Unix/Linux system, I don't know what
>to do to run powermax.exe from syslinux.
>I've made a boot floppy disk and tried to copy everything
>on my usb key and put the command.com in kernel field but
>all I have was "COMBOOT image too large".

Vanessa, what you'll need is a bootable DOS floppy--you've got to have a
DOS work-alike system in control to run powermax.exe.  Let me presume
you've got a legit copy of MS-DOS.  (If not, I'd recommend going to get a
copy of FreeDOS, though some of the filenames will change in that case.)
You'll have to chain boot to a DOS boot record, which will run IO.SYS and
MSDOS.SYS.  Then it would make sense to have a CONFIG.SYS that says
SHELL=POWERMAX.EXE, so it runs your diagnostic, and only it, immediately.
 Needless to say, it has to be on a FAT file system partition.

Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers at juno.com)
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/
http://www.geocities.com/paulgrogers/
(I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
:-)