[syslinux] Booting disk images with syslinux?

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 12:21:59 PDT 2005

>Is it possable to boot a diskimage with syslinux?
>
>So often I run into bios upgrade disks images or can
>easily create a disk image and would like an easy way
>to just boot these images.
>
>I know isolinux does this and I vagely remember using
>it to make a bootable windows 95 cd back in the day.
>It worked to.
>
>It would be nice if I could just copy the disk image
>to a usbstick and use syslinux to boot these images.
>Is it possable?
>And if so how do I add these to the config file
>
>I tried
>
>label dosdisk
>kernel floppy.img

Use memdisk from syslinux.

label dosdisk
kernel memdisk
append initrd=floppy.img

thanks that works great.

Even though I use linux I help a lot of windows users
and I was curious how to tell them to do the
equivilant of "cat mbr.bin > /dev/sda"

under linux I did the following to build a usb
bootstick

fdisk /dev/sda
(I removed everything and created one fat16 partition
and selected it as active)
mkdosfs /dev/sda1
syslinux /dev/sda1
cat mbr.bin > /dev/sda

that works great but how would I tell a windows user
how to do that? any clues?
once its installed though any user can change it which
is nice.