[syslinux] PXE/Memdisk/bootimage having a fight

Jim Cromie jcromie at divsol.com
Fri Aug 12 12:26:54 PDT 2005

Mr Tyrese wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2005, at 18:16, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>

>>> I have only one config file that I'm editing. It's /tftboot/lts/
>>> pxelinux.cfg/default
>>>

>> ... and what does the *entire file* (as opposed to a single
>> "stanza") look like?
>>

>>> That's the file that my clients are told to get from DHCP
>>> When they get that file, i want them to have a choice, of what to
>>> load. I'm not sure where I should put default Ghost
>>>

>> In the file.
>>
>>     -hpa
>>
> ***
> prompt=100
> kernel bzImage-2.4.26-ltsp-2
> append init=/linuxrc rw root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd-2.4.26-ltsp.gz
>
> label Ghost
> kernel memdisk
> append initrd=netboot.img

appends doesnt accumulate onto the global setting, it overrides it.
the 'append' is onto the bootline for that label only.

this hung me up a while ago.  Im sure I posted it, and I think I requested
it as a feature once, but as you know, theres only 7*24 in a week,
and too few are free.

Restating a short feature wishlist:
1    label specific append adds onto global append
2   line continuation \
    ala shell. \
    nice to have for those nfs-root append lines which can get pretty
long and nearly impossible to visually 'diff'
3   all the hard stuff, too

So, in the help me to help you dept,
Does anyone know how to setup either bochs or qemu
(in combo with gdb if possible)
so that I can single-step, or just execute, thru the various parts
of pxelinux/syslinux ?

with that facility, I could probably muster the ambition to add features
1,2 myself,
and maybe others could be similarly enticed/seduced.

jimc