[syslinux] Windows Dos testing

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 15:54:16 PDT 2005

Well I'll need to do more experiments first.
I need to go out and find fdisk for windows.
Ok like I said linux worked great and I think I'll
just create a bootable cd to create a usb bootable
sticks.(to give to windows users). Here is what I did
for testing in windows. I started with zeroing out the
flash drive in linux so that I knew I started from
ground zero ie:
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=1000"
then I put the usb stick in a windows machine.
I let windows format the disk. (bad idea)
It didn't partition the disk at all.(didn't know till
I looked at it in linux) And then I used syslinux on
it with the -m flag and tried to boot it. It didn't
work. I was looking for a full proof method in windows
but windows needs work itself. So I'll get back to you
guys on this when I have some time to experiment.