[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.10-pre9

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Aug 16 15:41:56 PDT 2005

robotti at godmail.com wrote:
>>I have just pushed out SYSLINUX 3.10-pre9.  Please test it out,
>>especially everyone who has been working with me on various systems
>>trying to get them to work, or have had recent breakage.
>>
>>       -hpa
>

> It seems to work now, but it takes about 10 seconds before it
> displays "SYSLINUX CBIOS etc.".

What that means is that it keeps trying and trying to access your broken
EBIOS, and eventually gives up and falls back to CBIOS (with the
1024-cylinder limit.)  This is a good thing, because that's what the
code is supposed to do.  There really doesn't seem to be any better
option on your particular system, and at least it works now.

(syslinux -s would make it faster, and I'm considering an option to
force CBIOS, but as people already know, my general attitude is that it
should work automatically on as many systems as possible, even if it's
slow.)

Okay, so remaining issues for 3.10:

- Need for forward-port EBIOS changes from SYSLINUX to EXTLINUX;
- Verify EXTLINUX functionality on Supermicro systems;
- Try to make some head or tail out of menu.c32 hang, if at all possible;
- NOESCAPE.