[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.10-pre9

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Wed Aug 17 06:58:43 PDT 2005

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I have just pushed out SYSLINUX 3.10-pre9.  Please test it out,
> especially everyone who has been working with me on various systems
> trying to get them to work, or have had recent breakage.

The DISPLAY bug in pxelinux still exists. The one I reported in June
where a <CAN>filename<newline> gets a bunch of jibberish appended to it
so the tftp request for the graphic is corrupted. Both with the current
pre-release with max_cmd_len equ 511 and the prior 1023.

TFTP Read Request, File: /pxe/pxelinux.0, Transfer type: octet
TFTP Read Request, File: /pxe/pxelinux.cfg/01-00-e0-81-ff-ff-ff,
Transfer type: octet
TFTP Read Request, File: /pxe/menu/benhead.msg, Transfer type: octet
TFTP Read Request, File: /pxe/menu/benhead.rle󪾮¾¿'`¹, Transfer type:
octet

However, a test revert it back to the old max_cmd_len equ 255 and the
symptom vanished.

TFTP Read Request, File: /pxe/pxelinux.0, Transfer type: octet
TFTP Read Request, File: /pxe/pxelinux.cfg/01-00-e0-81-ff-ff-ff,
Transfer type: octet
TFTP Read Request, File: /pxe/menu/benhead.msg, Transfer type: octet
TFTP Read Request, File: /pxe/menu/benhead.rle, Transfer type: octet

The test file benhead.msg is exactly 18 bytes:

<CAN>menu/benhead.rle<newline>

I hope that is a clear explanation. The above excerpts are from a
network trace of only the client request side of the pxe conversation.
This is on an Tyan/Opteron system which uses AMIBIOS.

../C