[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.10-pre15

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Aug 20 22:23:02 PDT 2005

Curtis Doty wrote:
> I just picked up 3.10-pre15 and the "PXELINUX corrupts graphic filename
> referenced from DISPLAY file" bug is zapped. Yipee! Thanks hpa. And
> Arwin too, if that 'xor esi,esi' was the crux.
>
> However, LOCALBOOT -1 and LOCALBOOT 0 don't work the same as they did
> for me in 3.07. :-(
>
> 3.07:
> LOCALBOOT -1 apears to work as I have a hard disk listed in bios boot
> order after the net card.
> LOCALBOOT 0 also works fine by booting the disk as specified.
>
> 3.10-pre15:
> LOCALBOOT -1 causes the system to reboot.
> LOCALBOOT 0 hangs after "Booting from local disk..."
>
> Also FYI, in the 3.07 tests that *work*, the line immediately following
> "Booting from local disk..." is: "PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM."
> Then of course, "GRUB Loading stage2..." :-)

By the way, LOCALBOOT -1 is *NOT* valid for PXELINUX; it can have any
random effect whatsoever; the only values for LOCALBOOT in PXELINUX that
are well-defined are 0, 4 and 5.  LOCALBOOT 0 is what you want.

It's very confusing, since LOCALBOOT 0 in PXELINUX has the same effect
as LOCALBOOT -1 in ISOLINUX.  LOCALBOOT was definitely one of my less
brilliant moments.