[syslinux] PXE-Boot fails after reboot with kernel 2.6.x

André Weidemann Andre.Weidemann at web.de
Sun Aug 21 01:47:02 PDT 2005

Hello list,
I've been using PXE Boot for quite some time now and it has been working
without any problems.
I'm using a Biostar M7VIZ mainboard with a VIA KM400 chipset, and
VIA-Rhine VT6102 NIC.

Yesterday I upgrade the Kernel on my net-boot machine from 2.4.24 to 2.6.12.
When I power on the machine it boots up normally.
However, when I reboot the machine, the mainboards PXE-ROM only displays
"PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM". It does not even try to retrieve
anything via DHCP it just prints the above message, nothing more. If I
power off the machine and back on then it is booting again. The above
phenomenon is reproduceable.

The really weird thing however... If I switch back to my 2.4.25 kernel
then everything is working a fine after a reboot.

The whole thing looks like a kernel problem but I wouldn't know where to
start searching. I reconfigured the 2.6.12 kernel a few times and even
tried the 2.6.13-rc6 kernel but without any luck.

I was searching through the archives to see if some one else has had a
similar problem, but without any luck.
(it was quite tedious to do without a search option on the page, maybe
there is one and I just did not find it...?!?)
Has any one else had such a problem before?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
  André