[syslinux] Large disk image boot. Any suggestions?

Quinn plattel at tiscali.dk
Sun Aug 21 14:04:00 PDT 2005

Matt Walsh wrote:

>I'm having this problem on an Intel Xeon server board.  I've also retested
>on a very recent Intel Desktop board and it has the same exact problem.
>
>-mw
>
>--- Quinn <plattel at tiscali.dk> wrote:

>>>It's supposed to but doesn't - at least with the current version - or
>>>

>>at
>>

>>>least with the directions I've used.
>>>
>>>I had the same issue as this most excellent person Giulio...
>>>http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-February/004773.html
>>>
>>>...and so I emailed him.  He said he went backwards till he found an
>>>

>>old
>>

>>>version that works.  Voila, if you use MEMDISK 2.11, it works.  He told
>>>

>>me
>>

>>>that he posted this to the list but got no response.
>>>
>>>The old version hangs like this:
>>>
>>>Ramdisk at 0x005df000, length 0x00a00080
>>>command line: initrd=image.dsk harddisk c=10 h=64 s=32
>>>

>>BOOT_IMAGE=memdisk
>>

>>>MEMDISK: image has a fractional end sector
>>>Disk is hard disk, 10240 K, C/H/S = 10/63/32
>>>Total size needed = 1897 bytes, allocating 2K
>>>Old dos memory at 0x9f800 (map says 0x9f800), loading at 0x9f000
>>>1588: 0x137c 15E801: 0x137c 0x0000
>>>INT 13 08: Success, count = 2, BPT = 0000:0000
>>>old: int13 = eb8b3dc9   int15 =  f0005d34
>>>new: int13 = 9f000008   int15 =  9f000286
>>><hangs here>
>>>
>>>-mw
>>>

>>This is the exact problem I have on IBM machines.  Any Non-IBM machine
>>boots perfectly with USB->memdisk->dosimage procedure.
>>Do you perchance be testing this on a IBM machine?
>>
>>Quinn

I know that IBM uses Intel hardware in there machines so there might be
a connection there with the usb memdisk boot problem.
You say it is Intel hardware - but does it have a IBM, Intel, or some
other logo on it?  When you go into the BIOS setup, does it tell you who
the BIOS manufacturer is?  It is usually Award, Ami, or Phoenix.  If it
does not say, then it is probably IBM.

Quinn