[syslinux] Usin ISO Linux & Memdisk to create a Viritual Floppy drive that Linux & Windows can load driver disk from.

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 09:33:51 PDT 2005

On 8/22/05, Harald_Jensas at dell.com <Harald_Jensas at dell.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is becoming a bad habit for big OEM vendors to sell computers & servers without floppy drives.
> Unfortunatly both Windows and Linux (RedHat) need a floppy drive to load storage drivers etc. during installation.
>
> This is what I was thinking:
> Use ISOLINUX and MEMDISK to load a floppy image of a driver disk into memory as a viritual floppy drive "A:"/"/dev/fda" And then "chainload" into Windows Installation and be able to F6 and load the driver of the viritual floppy drive.
>
> Would this be possilble?
>
> I would like to create a CD with several driver disks, and possibly eaven some diagnostic tools and recovery console etc. Anyone done something like this before? Dockumented anywhere?
>

> Best Regards
> Harald Jensås
> MCP, CCNA
> Nordic Server Support
> Dell AB
> http://support.euro.dell.com/
> Please! Keep all history running!

Why don't you use one of the utilities designed fort this in windows,
such as VFD:  http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html  It's
free for anyone to use and everything.  I have also recently learned
that the commercial software WinImage now supports this as well, but,
VFD is more than sufficient for most needs with it's most recent
versions.