[syslinux] MEMDISK bug in Syslinux 3.10

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Aug 24 16:16:06 PDT 2005

MEMDISK included in the freshly released Syslinux v3.10 is unfortunately
broken. v3.09 works properly.

Scenario:
Isolinux --> MEMDISK --> FDBOOT.IMG (FreeDOS 360KB diskette image).
Then try to access drive B: , which normally is your first diskette
drive with driveletter A:.
However, in this case MEMDISK occupies A:, and real diskdrive becomes B:

Bug:
when accessing B:, you're asked to swap disks, after which you see the
mirrored contents of A: (Memdisk boot image).

Expected behaviour:
Drive A: --> see contents of 360KB boot imagefile
Drive B: --> see contents of 1.44MB physical diskette -
              without diskswapping/pausing

diskswapping normally only happens if drive not ready or driveletters
are pointing to same diskdrive. (DISKCOPY A: B: on a single-floppydrive
system for example)

Replacing only MEMDISK by v3.09 works.

Guess I should have been testing earlier in order to help release a
flawless v3.10, but I disliked signing up for even more mailinglists.

Bernd