[syslinux] Opinions about timeout

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Tue Aug 30 13:37:27 PDT 2005

Alexander Heinz schreef:
> I want to be able to power off the PC if the user does not choose to
> boot an OS. (I use a .com file to achieve this.)
>
> Although it is likely that as soon as somebody presses a key, he/she is
> going to make a selection, it is not 100% certain. So stopping the
> timeout after pressing a key is not an option for me.

could be useful indeed, but forces another 'what to do after global
timeout'. Might as well combine timeout and a label then.

prompt 1
default freedos
ontimeout 0
display data/BOOTMSG.TXT
timeout 150

convert to:

prompt 1
default freedos
display data/BOOTMSG.TXT
# the '0' here below is from 'ontimeout'
timeout 150 0
# 15K seconds, 24 minutes or so. If still no label selected then:
# shutdown system. Also has its own 'ontimeout' label
globaltimeout 15000 shutdown

label freedos
kernel memdisk
append initrd=360KB.img

# lacking an INCLUDE=FREEDOS directive, need to copy/duplicate section
# contents instead..
label 0
kernel memdisk
append initrd=360KB.img