[syslinux] Opinions about timeout

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Tue Aug 30 13:45:28 PDT 2005

I have not used the new simple menu system, but this idea seems
eminently reasonable to me. It brings menu behaviour back into line with
what you get on the cmdline, it sounds like.

> If someone doesnt like the existing timeout, they can always
> hit TAB on
> any selection.
> That stops the countdown indefinitely, and escape brings you back,
> allowing you
> to choose another item.
>
> All else being equal, customers prefer menus,
> and whether this glitch-prevention timeout was paranoid is
> irrelevant; its in now, and harmless. (unless its clutter
> that makes the next
> feature harder)
>
> maybe display/feedback tweaks are in order:
>
> while counting down:
>     hit TAB to halt countdown, or to edit selection.
>
> while in boot-edit mode, add a hint:
>     hit ESC to return to main menu

Users are fickle and resistant to reading things. It is likely that the
timeout expires before they figure out how to stop it.
--
Michael