[syslinux] Opinions about timeout

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Aug 30 13:59:24 PDT 2005

Jim Cromie wrote:

> If someone doesnt like the existing timeout, they can always hit TAB on
> any selection.
> That stops the countdown indefinitely, and escape brings you back,
> allowing you
> to choose another item.
>
> All else being equal, customers prefer menus,
> and whether this glitch-prevention timeout was paranoid is irrelevant;
> its in now, and harmless. (unless its clutter that makes the next
> feature harder)

It *is* actually harmful, because it breaks a common usage scenario,
which is to have a quite short (a couple of seconds) timeout for the
common boot option.  This requires that any interactive action on the
part of the user interrupts the timeout, and yes, it's the same thing as
for the CLI.

I tried hacking in the "grand timeout" option, but it seems to require
some pretty painful code restructuring, which seems unlikely to happen
at this time.