[syslinux] booting from MS-dos disk. at home.nl

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Aug 31 08:23:29 PDT 2005

(I *really* need to learn this list is configured for replying to sender
instead of the list itself..)

Dinesh P. schreef:

 > Hi there,
 >              I am using memdisk with pxelinux, i have created ms-dos
boot disk from windows xp, but when i boot from it stops on starting....
 >            what is the problem can anybody tell me..

please read Syslinux and Memdisk documentation, which tell you to add
'raw' parameter. The diskette image that WinXP creates uses a Windows
Millennium kernel. Either the kernel or the bootsector used on it break
booting through Memdisk on purpose somehow.

I'll try to test if it's only the bootsector, as
http://fdos.org/AutoIndex/index?dir=kernel/&file=SYS.dev.COM

is able to write a diskette bootsector for WinME.
create the WinXP/ME bootdisk, then:
SYS.COM A: A: /BOOTONLY

if the image works with Memdisk, then it's bootsector to blame.
otherwise kernel, in which case you'd better use a Win98 image from
bootdisk.com or so (provided you have a license for it, ofcourse :) )

Bernd