[syslinux] Re: THE LINUX/I386 BOOT PROTOCOL - Breaking the 256 limit

Chris Wedgwood cw at f00f.org
Wed Aug 31 15:14:24 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 12:12:00AM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:

> b) add a new boot option telling the kernel the name of some file in
> initrd or similar from which to load additional options.

a file in initrd isn't a good choice; as the initrd is generally a fix
image

the point is some bootloaders might want to pass quite a bit of state
to the kernel at times (i actually have this for a mip32 target where
i construct a table and pass a pointer to that in, a tad icky but for
lack of options)