[syslinux] FoxPro

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 11:21:22 PST 2005

On 12/4/05, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> So to summarize: (and fill in a few blanks, correct me if I am wrong)
>
> You are booting PXE from a floppy
>
> PXE is loading dos.  Is it using memdisk and an image of a dos bootable floppy?
>
> autoexec.bat loads the microsoft TCP stack and SMB drivers
>
> map a drive to an SMB (windows) file server.
>
> run foxpro, it errors with not enough memory.
>
> What is the name of the .exe?  guessing foxprox.exe.
>
> And this is foxpro v2.6, right?
>
> ^C
>
> Somani K. wrote:
> > Hi, friends,
> >      actually i am booting thinstation + dos boot disk using pxelinux
> > and menu.c32 everything works fine but there is problem with dos boot
> > disk, when it loads tcp/ip protocol and packet drivers for netwok in
> > consumps memory around 540k and dos only supports 640k memory when i
> > access mapped drive from server using tcp/ip protocol and try to run
> > foxpro based dos program it gives an error of insufficient memory, but
> > other programs like Wordstar, lotus123 running fine, i also tryied with
> > memdisk and other things but nothing woks, so give me a suggestion if
> > you can ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Somani K.
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Karsten" <carl at personnelware.com>

Sounds like this problem is a good old dos problem, not really
sys(pxe)linux problem really.  You need more conventional memory freed
up, but, require the usage of certain drivers.  Show us your
config.sys and autoexec.bat files and perhaps we can at least try to
come up with something that clears up a tad more conventional memory.
I'd say start off by putting himem.sys on that disk if it's not
already and loading it with a DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS statement in
config.sys, then loading that network driver or whatever with LH (eg
LH NETWORK.COM or whatever.)  If you don't already have one, place a
DOS=HIGH,UMB in your config.sys as well.  Personally, I've worked with
DOS for a while, and only network drivers and sound drivers were ever
a problem, but, I still usually ended up with around 590K free memory,
which fits some of the toughest requirements out there.  Beyond that,
just show us what you need and maybe something can be worked out.  Oh,
and if you can find a copy of mem.com from some DOS utilities
somewhere, toss that onto the disk.  It makes it a lot easier to
figure out what is causing the biggest problems.