[syslinux] Reading from a serial device in a com32 module

Remi Lefevre rlefevre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 13:12:19 PST 2005

Hi,

I need to read some data from a specific device communicating through
the serial link.
I am a little confused about the different ways to communicate through
the serial link with the syslinux libc from a com32 module.

There are some functions in syslinux libc to use a serial device, but
they all seem related to a serial console. Is there a way to read from
a com port not related to a serial console ? All available functions
seem to do nothing if no serial port is configured.
I don't need a serial console, I just need a way to configure a serial
port then read from it.

If it is not possible at the moment and if there are some means to do
it already planned, I would be glad to contribute to them.

Could someone inform me about the planned (or perhaps already
implemented, forgive my ignorance in this case) ways to do this ?

I already consider syslinux with com32 as a little single threaded (or
process) OS (atm) with a lot of capabilities, syslinux klibc
derivative has a lot to do with this, thanks again for that.

Best regards,

R. Lefevre