[syslinux] To pause each screen text using syslinux

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 12:17:21 PST 2005

On 12/6/05, Jin Suh <jinssuh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello syslinux,
>
> I am trying to add a page break in the license file. Could you help me to add a
> page break in the text file? I tried "^L" in every 25 lines but it didn't work.
>
> What I want to do is this. In the boot prompt, I want to display the license
> file by pressing F2 but the file is about 300 lines so it just scrolls up very
> quickly. Do you have any idea how to pause in each page?
>
> Thanks,
> Jin

The official means of managing this is to split into multiple files
instead.  Eg, F1 would show page 1, F2 page 2, and so on.  I hate to
say, but, syslinux doesn't support any kind of scrolling handling so
far as I know.  It occurs to me that you might be able to come up with
something using labels (page1, page2, etc) and the display command to
display seperate pages as well, but, I haven't tested it.  It may be
that a label is required to have boot options and will return an error
at the very least (which would be a distracting out of place but
mostly harmless line of text at the end of the page of text) or it may
even do something such as restart syslinux and redraw the screen,
erasing the text.  Well, the best solution of all would be to build a
com32 module specifically for displaying text.  This method would give
you the most control and do exactly what you want it to.
Unfortunately, for many this isn't possible.  Still, I think we're
talking pretty simple C code to display text on the screen, wait for a
keypress, then display more, repeat, and eventually exit.  Hopefully
someone who knows more details can come along and tell you if it needs
to do anything more complex such as some special command to start
syslinux back up when it finishes.