[syslinux] Configuration question for syslinux 3.11 menu and ontimeout option

Arnold Maderthaner arnold.maderthaner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 01:26:14 PST 2005

I just started to play with syslinux 3.11 and have some problems with the
configuration. I want to implement following:
wait 5 seconds till the users chooses the right label. if nothing is done
for 5 seconds it should boot from next boot device specified by the BIOS.
I configured syslinux like that:

default menu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 50
ONTIMEOUT localboot
totaltimeout 200
display boot.msg
MENU TITLE Installation Version 1.2
F1 boot.msg
F2 options.msg
F3 general.msg
F4 param.msg
F5 rescue.msg
F7 snake.msg
label linux
  MENU LABEL Linux
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192
label text
  MENU LABEL Linux Text Installation
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img text ramdisk_size=8192
label localboot
  MENU LABEL Boot from local disk
  MENU DEFAULT
  LOCALBOOT -1

it does all the stuff that I want except for the 5 seconds delay. I wait 5
seconds (I see the counter counting to 0) and then it refreshes the screen
and starts again with the 5 seconds.
Anyone can help me with this ?

Another cool thing would be to display on top of the menu the
boot.msgspecified by display. is it possible to disable the clearing
of the screen
??

yours

arnold