[syslinux] Configuration question for syslinux 3.11 menu and ontimeout option

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 07:58:10 PST 2005

On 12/12/05, Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:

MENU DEFAULT specifies that a particular item is the default menu selection.

My guess is that the problem here lies in the ONTIMEOUT statement just
being localboot.  If I'm not mistaken, you're essentially telling it
to start the boot sequence over, so it's going to boot the first
device, which will be the device you've installed syslinux complete
with it's menu.  Hence you'd be getting a loop where it returns you
back to the menu and would seem to just be clearing the screen.  BTW,
word of warning, localboot doesn't 100% work in all BIOSes, ESPECIALLY
localboot -1.  Officially what you should use is chain.c32 if you can,
though obviously it's a pain if you are working with something that
may be booted on multiple systems and the default harddrive and
partition that would be booted may not always be hd0 1.