[syslinux] Using Linux as a first/second stage boot.

Cristi Mitrana cristi.mitrana at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 12:42:58 PST 2005

On 12/12/05, Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 02:33:01PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > Hi,

> > Alternatively, how does one do a netboot install of Linux onto the HD.
> > For example, can it be done by mounting the Linux dist install CD on a
> > central server, and have the laptop netboot Linux, and then install the
> > dist on the Laptop's HD.

  Yes, usually that's the method, you copy the installation files onto
a separate network pc which can act as either as a NFS server or a FTP
server.

> The Debian-installer can do installs also from the network.
> See http://www.nl.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch04s06.html.en
> for more information.

 Fedora/Redhat can be installed like this, they support a PXE network
installation, and SuSE also provide a network boot cd from which you
can extract the kernel and the initrd and load them with TFTP after a
PXE boot.
 You will need a TFTP and a DCHP server for the initial boot support
and downloading the install image (kernel+initrd) and then a NFS/FTP
server from which you can install the whole distro. I don't know about
FC/RedHat, but for Debian and SuSE you can use an internet mirror if
you have internet access and you don't even need to download the CDs.

hth,
--
mitu