[syslinux] PXE-on-a-disk Intel EM64T reboot

Josh Lehan jlehan at scyld.com
Mon Dec 12 20:49:20 PST 2005

Geert Stappers wrote:
> Sounds like http://etherboot.anadex.de/

Yes, it does.  I looked at that page before making my own
"PXE-on-a-disk" build.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find source on that
page, and wanted to be able to roll my own from source.

My solution has these differences from anadex.de's:
* Local hard disk is not read, in fact, it's for diskless nodes
* No ability to install to the local hard disk
* No user choices (it's intended for unattended use)
* Only uses Etherboot and SYSLINUX, not PCIScan
* Supports every PCI card that Etherboot can support
* Unfortunately, no fallback in case the PCI card is not detected
* I'm releasing it under GPL, and it includes source :)

> Please tell more about it
> or even better: document it on a webpage.

Here it is, in case people want to try it out:

ftp://scyld.com/private/jlehan/pxe-on-a-disk.tar.bz2

I've included floppy and CD images, and the Perl script and Makefile
that was used to make them from SYSLINUX and Etherboot.

If there is interest, I'll whip up a small webpage around it.

> You could be the first in that area.
> ( in other words: I haven't seen reports of Intel EM64T with syslinux
>   (no success, neither failures)
> )

Hmm, interesting.  Anyone out there use Intel EM64T with SYSLINUX and/or
Etherboot?

> I think it is kernel start code for the EM64T
> that differs too from AMD64 and plain i386.

That is true.  I checked, and made sure that I'm booting an
EM64T-compatible kernel.  The kernel boots fine when started by other
methods (such as a local hard disk install).  So, I'm thinking it's got
to be an issue with the combination of SYSLINUX/Etherboot that I'm using.

> I also think it is a killer application, so please do that posting.

Thanks!  Try downloading it and let me know what you think.

Josh Lehan
jlehan at scyld.com