[syslinux] how can i running isolinux on my cf disk?

Marc Haisenko haisenko at comdasys.com
Tue Dec 13 08:59:30 PST 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 05:35, Nazo wrote:
> On 12/12/05, Yuri++ <yhuang at i-security.com.cn> wrote:
> > how can i run isolinux on my cf disk?
>
> I presume "cf disk" means a compact flash card?  If so, there's
> nothing to it.  Just format it to FAT16 (or EXT2 if needed.)  I
> suggest you look at the README.usbkey file in the docs folder.  The
> information applies to a compact flash card just as well.  If you have
> or may use a trickier bios, you may want to partition it like a ZIP
> disk before installing syslinux to it (the document I mentioned
> explains it all.)
>
> I suggest that, if you haven't already, you read the documentation
> btw.  Honestly, it's not the most detailed documentation in the world,
> but, there's still a goldmine of info in there.

Actually we're booting all our products with SYSLINUX from CF cards with
different hardware. All of them have the CF interface on the mainboard and
treat the CF cards like normal IDE devices. I just stick the CF into my USB
CF reader, partition and format it like a normal HD, put the SYSLINUX MBR and
SYSLINUX itself on it and that's it: all that's missing is a kernel and Linux
of course ;-) Then I can stick the CF into our hardware and boot it. Quite
painless and straight forward.

(Except for a prototype board which has a strange, incomplete BIOS... the
SYSLINUX MBR crashes with it, seems the BIOS doesn't report the correct drive
geometry, which I'll debug during my christmas holidays)

C'ya,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko