[syslinux] 8021q VLANs and pxe problem

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Tue Dec 13 10:10:53 PST 2005

If the default VLAN for a port is directly on, or routes to (and has a
dHCP helper enabled) the DHCP/tftp server you won't have any problems.

In the case that your traffic is not doing what you want, light up a
packet cap on both ends and double-check your router/switch configuration.

The biggest problem I've seen outside general misconfiguration (not
implying that's your issue) is using STP.  Most hardware seems to
isolate a port it sees as 'flapping' for around a minute, sometimes even
with portfast, when link comes up and down a few times from boot to the
PXE load.  The STP loop checks appear to stack-up, and each IF change
seems to cause another check back-to-back (this I've noticed most
prevalently with Cisco 6500's).

/eli