[syslinux] 8021q VLANs and pxe problem

Boris Lenzinger boris.lenzinger at castify.net
Wed Dec 14 01:33:54 PST 2005

We (our sys admin and I) have configured this few days ago ;)
Our DHCP is on a linux box (RedHat 9) and the VLAN switch is a Cisco 3550.
The DHCP server is directly connected to the vlan switch.

Here are the steps we have performed:
  * load the kernel module 8021q
  * add ip address with vconfig tool so that there is one interface per vlan
  * change the settings of the port of the DHCP server in mode trunk AND
in mode 8021.q
And it should work.

We have used this thread as source (should be more verbose than those
steps ;) ): http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=381662